Saturday, January 31, 2009

What A Gal!


This lovely gal turned 97 years old today! She is my Grandma Ginny. She lives in a nursing home now and she has a very difficult time hearing but she is still sweet as ever. She has lead a very interesting life. Can you imagine all that she has seen in her 97 years on this earth? She has lived in a home with no running water, she has ridden in horse and buggy to get around because there were no cars. She has seen men land on the moon and she has just recently seen an African American Man become our President. That is just a few things. My kids think it is so neat that she was born before television and cell phones and ipods. HA! They think her life must of been boring as a child....but I bet it was fun! She has told me so many stories about her life. I wish I had recorded them all to play over and over when she is gone from this earth. My grandma was one of eleven children. Only two are left....she and her sister. I love seeing the two of them together. They talk and say a lot of "remember when......."
My grandma married a man who was 25 years older than she. She has been a widow since she was in her 50's. That is a long time to miss your husband! She is longing for the day when she can go "home." We talk about that sometimes and I tell her that God must not be finished with her here on earth. She can not wait to see her husband again and of course, live with Jesus.
So today was a celebration of her life and her time with us. We usually have several other family members here with us to celebrate. This year, we were alone. One of my grandma's daughters lives in Colorado and the other daughter lives in Texas now. So, my mom is the only one left here. I know her other daughters wanted to be here today with us to. We missed them! We had plenty of yummy cake and ice-cream at the party as well.

So, Happy Birthday Grandma-O-Mine! I love you more that I can say!!!! XOXOXOXOXOXO

No comments: