Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day!

When I was a little girl, my mother would help my sister and I make May Day baskets to give out to neighbors and grandparents on May 1st every year. We would pick flowers from our yard and add some candy to put into our little cones or sometimes she would actually make a basket out of construction paper. My mother is extremely crafty...if I have not told you that before. Anyway....this was the only time of the year that we were given permission to ring someones doorbell and run and hide.....leaving the basket of goodies on their doorstep. And man was it fun!!!!! We would peek out from around a bush or tree and watch them pick up their little basket. I loved it!
So, you can imagine what tradition I started a long time ago with my two daughters. Yup! May Day baskets for neighbors and grandparents! And, sometimes friends. :)
This year my oldest daughter daughter did not want to make them or go with us to deliver them. Made me very sad. But, my youngest and I taped the baskets together and put stickers on them and filled them up with little fun size candy bars. Before we left to deliver them, we added fresh flowers so they would have a little bouquet from us.
This is what we came up with.

Nothing fancy....but filled with love for those we delivered to. My youngest daughter asked me if we could still "ding dong dash" people today. HA! Seems like her favorite part is ringing the doorbell and running too. You gotta admit....it really is fun!

No comments: