Friday, February 11, 2011

Little Cherry Bombs

This little recipe just screams Valentines Day to me.  That is....if you like chocolate and cherries together....which I do.  
 

 Tiny Chocolate Cherry Bombs

2 10 oz jars maraschino cherries
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup melted and cooled butter
2 tablespoons cherry juice
1 ½ tsp vanilla
1 egg
--------
1 cup powdered sugar for the icing
Rest of cherry juice left from draining cherries


1.     Line mini muffin tin with bake cups.  Paper or foil works fine.  Drain cherries, reserving the juice for later.
2.    In large mixing bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add milk, cooled butter, 2 Tablespoons cherry juice and vanilla.  Beat with a mixer on low until combined.  Add egg and beat for another minute until blended.
3.    Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup.  Push a cherry into batter of each cup.
4.    Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly touched.  Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes in pan.  Remove cupcakes from pan and place on wire racks to cool completely.
5.    For icing, in a medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon cherry juice.  Continue adding additional juice until it is drizzling consistency.  Drizzle over cupcakes.  Let set before serving.  Makes 48 mini cupcakes. 
 
 (Note:  These can also be packaged up in cute little Chinese take out boxes and given to people that you adore during this season-oh-love)

 ---------------------------------------------------------
Of course while making these, a song came to mind. 

Please don't hold my silliness against me, I was born in a small town......
Well, I better stop before the walls of this blog start crumbling down.....

OK OK, I will stop....but I really wish I could live in a little pink house....

6 comments:

Big O said...

Wow would your DAD love a box of these goodies! and as for John Melancamp.....this is the heart throb that gave you a big kiss at a concert. You did not want to wash it off for days.

trish said...

We must be from the same era! :o)
Those little cupcakes look yum.my!
Have a great weekend!
Sincerely, Trish

Stephanie said...

Absolutely adorable! I may have to "borrow" this recipe ;)

kathy said...

Wow, you really did have a good time this blog!! I just never know what i'm going to find on it and I love it!!! Those "Little Cherry Bombs" are THE BEST. OK right up there with the soup....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyy

traci said...

those looks scrumptious. i need to make them for my mom. she loves cherries.

Unknown said...

I think you've fallen off the deep end. :)