Sunday, June 12, 2011

Farmers Market

I am a happy camper.  Our Farmers Market opened up and we stopped by yesterday to see what goodies were there.  We picked up peaches, strawberries, oranges, onions, corn on the cob and green beans.  There is nothing like fresh produce in the summertime.  It is hands down...the best.  My youngest daughter and I snapped the beans this afternoon after church and they are simmering right now on the stove with turkey bacon and onion and some spices.  Wish I had smell-o-vision....I would share with you.  My grandma and I used to snap beans all the time together when I was a child.  I have a lot of wonderful memories of her and I doing beans.  I was sharing those memories with my daughter today.  Next on our agenda is making strawberry jam.  My wonderful Grandma and Mama taught me about being thrifty and canning the summer produce so we can enjoy it all winter long.  And now I get the privilege of passing down those skills to my kiddos.

2 comments:

Sewn With Grace said...

I certainly hope that you make way to much jam and need to unload it on your friends! (hint, hint). My life has settled down now so I hope we can get together this week!

Anonymous said...

I wish that I lived close so we could get together too, I am envious. You and Renee give each other a hug from me. :)

You treasure trove of goodies sounds wonderful. I saw a sign last night in our local Culver's about a Farmers Market soon. I am looking forward to that.

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!